Health and Safety
Health and Safety
The aim of this policy is to:
Ensure the safety of pupils, staff and parents/guardians whilst attending classes and representing the Theatre school. This policy links very closely to the Child Protection Policy.
Through the enforcement of this Health and Safety Policy we will ensure:
• The safety of pupils, staff and parents/guardians
• The best performance from each pupil
• We are not placing unreasonable demands upon the body of a pupil
• That both staff and pupils are following the precautions necessary to prevent physical injury during a class or performance.
– For Health and Safety, a registration and health form should be completed for all pupils with details of full name, date of birth, address, contact telephone numbers and known medical conditions.
– For the safety of pupils, a register is taken at the start of each session to show who is present. This will be used in the case of a fire or for any other reason why we may have to evacuate the building. (Pupils and staff from time to time we will have a fire evacuation practice drill)
PUPILS TEACHERS AND CLASS
– For the safety of pupils, all qualified teachers, when taking up an appointment at the theatre school, will be DBS checked and will have appropriate insurance. Freestyle Theatre Schools have public liability insurance and Employers Liability insurance.
– All pupils involved in activities or classes should wear the appropriate clothing.
– All instruction will be geared to the previous experience of the pupil(s) and no person will be required to perform movements beyond their intrinsic capabilities.
– Teachers will, at all times, supervise any lifts or movements that could be potentially dangerous. They will not teach movements or actions outside of their qualified areas.
– For Health and Safety, a teacher will hold a recognised First Aid qualification and a first aid box will be available.
– For the safety of each pupil, a warm up will be performed at the start of each class and a cool down at the end supervised by a teacher.
– Written permission must be given by parents, for those pupils under 18 years old, for Freestyle to take photos of their child (still and video) and Written permission must be given by the pupil if the pupil is over 18 years old.
– Parents/guardians are not permitted to remain in the teaching room during lessons.
– For Health and Safety, hot drinks will not be allowed in the teaching room. It is advised that pupils bring bottled, not canned drinks.
– A record book will be kept to log any incidents or accidents that occur during a school exercise or in class etc to staff or pupils.
– For Health and Safety, all electrical equipment will be safety tested on a regular basis and will display the date on which it was tested.
PICKUP AND TRANSPORT
– For the safety of pupils a set routine for drop off and collection has been implemented.
– We would ask that pupils arrive no more than 5/10 minutes before the start of their class.
– No young pupil will be allowed to leave the premises until collected by a parent, guardian or other authorised adult. A member of staff will remain on the premises until all pupils are collected. Our responsibility passes to that adult when the child has left the premises.